About The AuthorGabriel Mongefranco is an experienced leader in software development and security analysis. On his free time, he is also a writer, poet, philanthropist and adventurer. Learn more.
Popular Topicsadventures blogging break up canada coast guard coast guard auxiliary davenport university death dreams español familia friendship frustration God grand rapids great lakes guatemala hacking happiness hope lake michigan life love medical michigan my wife new job oceans recovery relationships robotics romantic sadness school secret love social justice solitude spanish spectrum health sweet travel usa volunteering web development work
Society – Sociedad Archive
- Posted on 2012.01.11 | 3 CommentsI have so many stories to tell about the Auxiliary, and tonight, they all become a little more official! I never before felt so proud to wear my Operational Dress Uniform (ODU)...
- Posted on 2011.09.11 | 1 CommentBesides training and fellowship, I had the chance to join the Coast Guard on a patrol, escorting a passenger vessel in the fog, and received lookout training in the most miserable viewing conditions imaginable. It was fun! :)
- Posted on 2011.05.16 | 1 CommentThrowing a heaving line to another boat or a floating dummy in a rocking boat is also harder than it sounds. But, after the 5th try or so, I was able to do both, and I only hit the dummy on the head once! :)
- Posted on 2011.03.29 | No Comments"Are you absolutely certain that this is what you want to do?" Perhaps I could. But it would require my absolute devotion, enduring financial hardship, and making school my life for three long years. Could I really do it?
- Posted on 2011.02.27 | No CommentsBrian brought a bag full of these flares, so we all had some fun shooting them over the channel -- even some of the Coasties joined in the fun! Everyone thought I had way too much fun with these flares, but hey...
- Posted on 2011.02.23 | No CommentsMy highlight of the show was the training that occurred on the second floor: Coastie operator training. Coastie is a 45-inch robot shaped like a cartoon-character boat that talks to the kids about water safety.
- Posted on 2011.02.19 | 2 CommentsI joined the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary last month. Just last Saturday, I was invited to participate in the first of many boat crew classes... at the Muskegon Coast Guard station! We brought lunch for the "coasties"...
- Posted on 2010.12.25 | No CommentsI got to see my nieces and nephews open their presents (and break the first one of the night!). It was so very exciting... it was almost like being there with them! This completely opens the doors for future family gatherings.