About The AuthorGabriel Mongefranco is an experienced leader in software development and security analysis. On his free time, he is also a writer, poet, philanthropist and adventurer. Learn more.
Popular Topicsadventures blogging break up canada coast guard coast guard auxiliary davenport university death dreams español familia friendship frustration God grand rapids great lakes guatemala hacking happiness hope lake michigan life love medical michigan my wife new job oceans recovery relationships robotics romantic sadness school secret love social justice solitude spanish spectrum health sweet travel usa volunteering web development work
- Posted on 2011.08.13 | No Comments"God, please look after her," I prayed. "And please God, o please God, let me come back safe to her: allow me to see my love..."
- Posted on 2011.05.16 | 1 CommentThrowing a heaving line to another boat or a floating dummy in a rocking boat is also harder than it sounds. But, after the 5th try or so, I was able to do both, and I only hit the dummy on the head once! :)
- Posted on 2011.04.16 | No CommentsWe headed outside, into the cold rain, and went aboard one of the Coast Guard boats. Rick showed us how to toss a line, but he forgot to do the most important thing: tie the other end to the boat. :) So there it went, flying away!
- Posted on 2011.03.29 | No Comments"Are you absolutely certain that this is what you want to do?" Perhaps I could. But it would require my absolute devotion, enduring financial hardship, and making school my life for three long years. Could I really do it?
- Posted on 2010.08.26 | No CommentsThis poem is about my life-transforming week-long kayaking trip in the North Channel with some Calvin College students for Wilderness Orientation. I wrote it while atop a cliff where we went rock climbing.
- Posted on 2010.06.21 | No CommentsI breath clean air, feel the crystalline waters that are now so uncommon in Lake Michigan, watch eagles soaring around the sunset, and am wonderfully close to be eaten by a coyote. What?!
- Posted on 2009.06.06 | No CommentsNo more falling in love after two seconds, either. It's time to be careful not to fall for someone too quickly, but also careful not to wait too long. I now know what kind of girl I'm looking for...
- Posted on 2009.04.05 | No CommentsAfter the Pow Wow, I missed my exit to Lansing so I drove up to Flint, where in a split second I decided to go see the thumb of Michigan. I drove to Bad Axe, where I met some elite hackers.